Friday, August 9, 2013

Summertime Adventures

So, it's been a while since my last post. Potential excuses are numerous, but I'll just suffice to say that I haven't made writing a priority. I've spent many of my weekends over the past few months traveling - to D.C. (several trips), Carolina Beach, Arkansas, Jacksonville, and in a couple weeks - San Francisco. I love being in a new places and getting out of the routine, but it has left little time for catching up on things at home.

We spent Memorial Day weekend at Carolina Beach in another great VRBO find - a 4th floor one bedroom condo just one row back from the beach, with dual balconies looking out on the town lake and ocean (read my review here).

View looking west: Carolina Beach Lake

Our beach-themed condo

View looking east: The Ocean! 
The summer solstice weekend was spent visiting my hometown in Arkansas, where we toured some of the local attractions such as the Wal-Mart Visitors Center and fabulous Crystal Bridges Art Museum, spent an evening shooting off fireworks on my parent's farmland, took a road trip to the Victorian era Ozark mountain resort town of Eureka Springs, went for a swim at Hogscald on Beaver Lake, enjoyed a fun-filled night on Dickson Street catching up with old friends, and even got in an engagement shoot with a very talented local photographer, Novo Studios. Really a quintessential Arkansas summer weekend.

Wal-Mart Visitors Center - Bentoville, Arkansas

Farmland near Winslow, Arkansas

One of our engagement photos! (photo credit: Philip Thomas of Novo Studios) 
On my weekend trips to D.C., we always make a point to try a new restaurant and explore a bit of the city on foot; definitely one of my favorite things to do in any city. July 4th was an extra fun weekend to be in Our Nation's Capital, with special (free) events going on all over the city, including a dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence - quite good, and not as cheesy as I thought it would be!

Amazing Savory Waffles from Locolat Cafe in Adams Morgan

Fresh seafood & crabs at The Wharf @ Southeast Waterfront (en route to Nationals Game)
Two weeks ago, I made the trip down I-95 to Jacksonville to visit one of my dearest friends who recently gave birth to her first child  - an adorable baby girl. She is the first of my close friends to have a baby, and it was such a special experience to spend the entire the weekend getting to know the newest member of their family. 

Next up - a long weekend in San Francisco to visit another one of my dear friends! Looking forward to sampling the amazing food, drink, and scenery in and around the Bay Area. Not so much looking forward to my flight that departs at 5:50 A.M. But hey, on the bright side, I'll be arriving at SFO before 10:00 A.M. :).

1 comment: